Saturday, June 19, 2010

Will our trade representatives continue to protect U.S. cotton’s interests in the WTO talks?

Childers, Neugebauer Seek Common Ground

By Tommy Horton


Rep. Neugebauer: I believe U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk realizes what is at stake through WTO negotiations, and I've been encouraged by recent comments he has made in support of U.S. cotton. He is well aware of how some proposals in the WTO could affect U.S. cotton. After a year, I am still not clear what our nation's trade policy is going to be.

President Obama made comments in his State of the Union speech about increasing exports for U.S. agriculture and other industries, yet he was not very specific.

Rep. Childers: I have followed the Brazilian cotton trade issue, and I have weighed in where necessary. I can't speak for our trade representatives, but I can assure you that I will  work closely with them to make sure that U.S. cotton can compete fairly both domestically and internationally.

 
If you had a parting message for U.S. cotton farmers, what would it be?

Rep. Neugebauer: I believe with any profession you must remain optimistic about your future. U.S. cotton farmers should take great pride in their work. They have invested in their industry for years and now produce far more cotton using far fewer resources. I will continue advocating on behalf of U.S. cotton here in Congress, and I believe sound policies combined with continued research will make the future of the industry better than the past for U.S. farmers.


source : cottonfarming

No comments:

Post a Comment