Monday, June 28, 2010

Alternative Varieties Found

Increase Expected In Southeast Acres

Amanda Huber

Alternative Varieties Found

A concern of producers has been what variety to plant, but Wright says some of the newer varieties of cotton look good and have the potential to equal the yields of DPL 555.

Georgia producer Jimmy Webb says his acreage ratio won't change from roughly one-third peanuts, cotton and corn – a system that works well in his farm operation.

"I cut my cotton production back to a more manageable acre figure when corn prices jumped up," he says. "I had always grown some corn but not as much as I have now. I had gotten to the point of really having too many cotton acres, so it has helped me do a better job growing cotton."

Webb says he likes having corn in the rotation with cotton and peanuts, which also helps to spread out the busy times of planting and harvest.

"I am in on a co-op gin, so we keep cotton in our mix," he says. "It has been tough, but now it will be much better with prices moving up."

source : cottonfarming

No comments:

Post a Comment