Saturday, June 19, 2010

Can you understand the cotton industry’s concerns about climate change legislation?

Childers, Neugebauer Seek Common Ground

By Tommy Horton


Rep. Neugebauer: This bill would raise the cost of energy used in every step of production agriculture. The negative effect that bill would have on producers in my district is one of the several very good reasons I voted against it.

Rep. Childers: I have serious concerns about climate legislation, which is why I was unable to support the House Energy Bill last year. We can't have true comprehensive climate legislation unless agriculture plays a larger role. Climate legislation needs to include more incentives and more recognition for all of the energy-reducing initiatives that most farmers have already employed.

 
How can the 2008 Farm Bill be protected from budget cuts?

Rep. Neugebauer: For 2009, the federal deficit was $1.4 trillion, and recent budget projections from the White House show a $1.6 trillion deficit for the 2010 fiscal year. These deficits and the growing debt are simply unsustainable. Farmers can't run a viable operation that way, and neither can the federal government. I do think we will face a situation in which all mandatory spending is put on the table to find savings. It may not be this year, but when it does happen, it will be up to my colleagues and me who understand the Farm Bill to make sure agriculture is not singled out and is treated fairly.

Rep. Childers: While budget cuts should be directed at programs that are duplicative or ineffective, I also understand that proposals to cut cotton storage credits and direct payments could be detrimental to the cotton industry. My Committee colleagues and I are prepared to go to bat for provisions that are essential to the survival of American farmers.
 

source : cottonfarming

No comments:

Post a Comment