Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Learning Lessons From The Past

Learning Lessons From The Past

Lia Guthrie


To many farmers, the 2009 season may have been a year to remember...or better yet, forget. It is interesting to me that dates and events are sometimes the benchmarks of our past and a point of reference for our future. Black Tuesday, the Kennedy assassination and 9/11 are a few that come to mind.

For me personally, it is "the fire." Most of my family history has been in reference to "before the fire" and "after the fire." You see, when I was three years old, my entire family was in a butane explosion. It was a Sunday afternoon in June of 1964 that my parents, two brothers and little sister experienced an event that should have ended our lives.

While I don't recall all the details, I do know that four of the six of us would be transferred from the Leland, Miss., hospital to what was soon to be called the Burn Center in Greenville, Miss. After several months of skin graft surgeries, traction and a host of doctors, we all managed to recuperate by the grace of God. While all of us still carry the scars of that traumatic event, all six of us survived, and important lessons were learned.


source : cottonfarming

No comments:

Post a Comment