Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Spreading The Word About Cotton

Spreading The Word About Cotton

Tommy Horton

We never know when we'll have opportunities to talk about agriculture with the general public. Sometimes those conversations can occur in the unlikeliest of locations. I've had chance encounters to talk about cotton with people everywhere I've travelled – especially if I'm wearing a Cotton Farming shirt. Some persons are very curious about those two words.

They aren't really sure if I'm a farmer or if I'm promoting a new line of clothing or maybe I'm a representative of a company that sells ag products. You can attract a fair share of strange looks if the person isn't familiar with our magazine or the cotton industry. But in the 10 years I've worked here I've never encountered something as unusual as what happened to me on a recent trip to western North Carolina where I was visiting old friends from my college days.

Our group had decided to take an afternoon trip to Chimney Rock National Park just south of Asheville. The weather was sunny and clear – perfect for walking to the top of Chimney Rock and taking good photos. Don't ask me why I was wearing a Cotton Farming shirt that day. Maybe I didn't pack enough shirts or perhaps I didn't have anything else to wear. Who knows?

source : cottonfarming

No comments:

Post a Comment